Light switches
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cb
Labourer
Labourer

Light switches

by cb » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:34 pm

I tried to change a standard light switch today to a dimmer switch and after taking the old one off, i forgot where the wires went and put them in the wrong holes, and tripped the switch and guessed again and know no lights work on my ground floor except the lounge, please help, all the wires are brown and one has got anothe hoop of wire on it to signal this one may stand out{maybe as the main} the holes for the new dimmer are an arrow with a line thru it and an L2, please help as it would be nice to get the lights working again and stop the wife nagging!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Light switches

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:12 pm

[quote="cb"]I tried to change a standard light switch today to a dimmer switch and after taking the old one off, i forgot where the wires went and put them in the wrong holes, and tripped the switch and guessed again and know no lights work on my ground floor except the lounge, please help, all the wires are brown and one has got anothe hoop of wire on it to signal this one may stand out{maybe as the main} the holes for the new dimmer are an arrow with a line thru it and an L2, please help as it would be nice to get the lights working again and stop the wife nagging![/quote]

CB
I THINK YOU BEST GET SOMEONE IN
BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi CB answered on other tagged on post but here goes agn.
the 'tagged wire is prob. L2, the other 2 go in Com , or the other way round it matters not, if unsure get a connector block and try putting 2 wires together until all other lights work, those are L in/out & stay together in one term. the one left goes in the other term.
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:22 am