Light works when on but blows fuse when switched off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
crp
Labourer
Labourer

Light works when on but blows fuse when switched off

Post by crp » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:31 pm

hi, i'm trying to connect a switch for some new outdoor lighting (with transformer). it is being hard wired to a plug socket. however whenever i switch the power on, the lights are on, then when i flick the switch to turn them off, the fuse blows!!
please help, ive connected everything colour to colour (i.e. brown to brown, blue to blue)
the lights do not require an earth.
i have connected the wires colour to colour as they enter the back of the plug socket, then onto the switch where they connect colour to colour (live top, neutral bottom) to a 1 way switch and the wires to the lights. the newly connected wires then go into the transformer and then to the lights.
many thanks in advance

ELECTRICAL WORK OUTDOORS IS A SPECIAL AREA NOW COVERED BY THE BUILDING REGULATIONS ( PART P ) AND AS SUCH THE INSTALLATION NEEDS TO BE TESTED AND CERTIFIED BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN. THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT.

PLEASE SEE THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECT ON PART P.

Chris Langham
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Chris Langham » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:38 am

The short answer has been given about your legal requirement.

When a fuse or circuit breaker "blows" it is a sign that a high overcurrent has flowed in the circuit, that can be a short circuit normally.

The circuit needs to be checked by a competent person belonging to a competent persons scheme such as NAPIT

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:54 am

Further to all the previous comments you have connected the switch wrongly!
the two blues Must NOT be connected to the switch but to each other in a spare connector block the browns go top & bottom of switch.
you should have used a fused connection unit as your switch with a 3Amp fuse fitted, you can do this tourself if only low voltage wiring going outside, ie transformer indoors

jaykaah
Labourer
Labourer

"Light on" when switch is off/blows circuit when t

Post by jaykaah » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:34 pm

I've got the switch connected to a small water pump for a pond. I've connected a plug to solid 14/2, and have it plugged into the the side of the house. I've run the 14/2 to a weather prof enclusure, where a light switch is hooked up:

Both black wires are hooked up to the same terminal at top of switch.

Both white wires are hooked up to the same terminal at the bottom of switch.

Any help is appreciated

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:53 pm

black & white wires? are u stateside?
if so remove the white wires and get a 'twister'term. block for them, take one black out of its terminal and fit it in the other switch term.,
hope you have a GFI in circuit as no ground.......

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:14 am