Lighting problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jon1
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting problem

by Jon1 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:15 pm

Please help! I've just moved into a new house and have an electrical problem. Most of the lights in the house work perfectly, however there are a pair of spot lights in the hall which will not work. Whatever position the switch is in, there is no light.
I've had the switch off the wall to check there are no lose wires. I've also bought 2 new bulbs. When I partially unscrew one of the bulbs, the other one produces a dim flicker. There is also a security light outside the house which shows no sign of life, even though I've tried new bulbs.
I'm wondering if the problem may be related to some wires which are poking out of the wall nearby. It appears they were once connected to a wall light which has since been removed. There is a red wire (which i believe is live) and a black wire, and also an earth wire which has been cut short.
The bare red and black wire ends are currently kept apart by a plastic block.
Is it possible this is why the nearby ceiling lights will not work? What would happen I connect the black and red wires together.
Hope this makes sense. Any suggestions gratefully received!

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Get an electrician in this is not a DIY thing too much can go wrong. There are instructions in projects but in your case can't see this helping. Sorry but sometimes you must realize one limitations and call someone in.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:55 am

HI Jon1,
ericmark is right, your making assumption that could lead to a dangerous situation occuring.
I suspect that the cable in the wall will have very little to do with the spotlights not working and you would find it difficult to determine safely! whether that circuit was live or in good working order without properly testing it with a test meter, but it should be looked at and safely isolated. You said switch wiring is okay, so I would be looking in the ceiling rose/light fittings for a loose connection this could cause lights not to function and also effect outside light, if loop in method of installation. But a loose connection from a light supplying the incoming cables could also be the fault, even though that light is working normally. so could be loose connection in another light fitting that is working.
Again be safe if you intend to inspect these fittings yourself, isolate circuit before you carry out any work, but if unsure get a qualified electrician in and while he's there get him to look at cables from ex wall light.
Good Luck and BE SAFE!
KB

Jon1
Labourer
Labourer

by Jon1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:57 am

Ok, thanks for the advice!

Jon1
Labourer
Labourer

Solved!

by Jon1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:26 pm

Just had an electrician round. Turns out the problem was caused by a loose wire in an exterior light. He spent 90 minutes finding it and sorting it out - all for £45 - bargain!! Thanks for everbody's help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:21 am