Lighting Query for Wiring Brand new Faceplate for Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rstorer
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting Query for Wiring Brand new Faceplate for Light

by Rstorer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm new to electrics. I've taken the existing "faceplate?" off and fitted the new one from my secondhand light fitting. I'm just unsure as to what to connect and how. The colours of the wires are also different. There is another light running from the switch in addition to this light. I have attached two photos to help with your support.

Thanks in advance

Rob

File 24-01-2016, 12 19 01.jpeg

File 24-01-2016, 12 19 38(1).jpeg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Lighting Query for Wiring Brand new Faceplate for Light

by ericmark » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:21 am

I can only guess but my guess is the three cables are feed in, feed out to next lamp and feed to the switch.

You will likely have 4 connections
All earths together including new lamp.
All red wires together but these do NOT connect to the new lamp.
Two of the black wires will go to the blue on new lamp.
And one of the black wires will go to the brown on the new lamp.

I think you can see the problem. You have 3 black wires, One is neutral in, one is neutral out and one is switched line to the lamp.

So likely all three blacks together will blow the fuse or trip the MCB and could very well damage the light switch as soon as you switch it on.

I have tried to work out a method of working out which wire is which, but when I posted it on this site I was told it was dangerous and thrown off it for 6 months.

So sorry if my guess is correct then you need some test equipment. It only needs to be a battery and a bell to work out with power off which is the switch wire. But you will need something to test with.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:21 pm