lighting system
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
markminerva
Labourer
Labourer

lighting system

by markminerva » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:35 pm

hi everyone. i have taken down an old remote controlled ceiling light with fan. when i replaced this with a pendant or ceiling rose some lights work, some dont, coming in through the ceiling are five cables, i have identified the live cable from previous light but as no others were labled i cant find which is loop which is switch as there are three switches connected to the old fan. also one lght, the last on the circuit is always on permanent, so how do i work out which cable does what.
thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:30 pm

Ok, lets try some logic..
first some info please: when you say remote controlled do u mean via wall switch(es) as opposed to Infra red/ wireless 'zapper'.
Next, the light that stays on, is it in same room as fan?
How many switches for fan/light eg double sw., one gang for light & one gang for fan, or even 3rd gang to control other light as well?
It might be live cable in as u say plus loop to other lights plus up to 3 switch cables, lots of possibilities, so as much info as u can & will try to fathom out,Regards SPARX

markminerva
Labourer
Labourer

by markminerva » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:40 pm

hi sparks, ok sorry for not being logic, was long day.
remote fan as in infa red. light that stays on is in another room, i have 2 2way switches one switch controlled the lights in the fan but did not turn fan itself on. the fan was wired to the lighting system by a main cable coming from previous rose, so, on one switch i have a fan control, and a upstairs landing control, on the other, i have a fan control and the light in the next room. but 5 cables coming into the rose where the fan was, i know which is the main live feed which went to the fan. bet this still makes no sense!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 03, 2007 8:51 pm

Sorry m. m. but this is one of those jobs that is prob. quite easy 'hands- on' but almost impossible by 'remote'..... wish you could have web cam. picture it would make life so much easier!

best get hold of local leckie, shouldn't take him long with meter to suss out, ( this is very frustrating for a fault-finding sparky not to be able to get at it, it's what I do most of the time) good luck, SPARX

markminerva
Labourer
Labourer

by markminerva » Fri May 04, 2007 3:37 pm

ok thats fine. thanks for your help. im sure i will have more probs for you

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:58 pm