lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sic
Labourer
Labourer

lighting

by sic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 pm

somone has told me that i can only use twin brown on switch drops, as it is legislation [is it ?] . whats wrong with sleeving the blue ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:27 am

Nothing sleeving blue is normal. Unless very resent change. But if you see amount of posts where people get blues/blacks mixed up you would see advantage of two browns.

HomeBrewPower
Labourer
Labourer

Light Switch Drops - Sleeving

by HomeBrewPower » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:04 am

Hi there,

There is nothing wrong with sleeving the Blue on a switch drop (Correct identification of conductors) providing you use the correct type of sleeving and DO NOT use brown tape!

sic
Labourer
Labourer

by sic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:22 pm

many thanks response. where could i get the proof for this ? as i have an argumentitive relative !!!

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Quote from 16th Edition "514-06-01 Every single-core non-flexible cable and every core of non-flexible cable for use as fixed wiring shall be identifiable, at its terminations and preferably throughout its length, by the appropriate method described in items (i) to (v) below:
(i) for thermosetting (rubber) and thermoplastic (pvc) insulated cables, the use of core colours in accordance with the requirements of Table 51A, or the application at terminations of tapes, sleeves or discs of the appropriate colours prescribed in the table" This shows you can use tapes, sleeves or discs but further on it does preclude the use of Green and Yellow for anything other than earth. There is a lot more but I am sure that is enough.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi sic, in an ideal world both switch wires should be brown or (red in old cable colours) But for practical reasons the blue or (black in old cable colours) on twin and earth are sleeved, brown the new red. (and this common to this type of installation)
As for argumenttive relative.
Part 5 of BS7671 16th edition will indicate some common rules and I believe this to be Regulations, 514-03-02: Every core of cable shall be identifiable at it's termination and preferablly throughout it's length. Binding and sleeves for indentification purposes shall comply to BS3858 where appropiate.
(BS3858 is a nation reconised spec)
Hope this has cleared your querry up
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:26 pm

hi, my 2 pennyworth...
as already stated cores must be identified at all term. points a PREFERABLY through out its length.
I have always used twin red or brown as now is for sw. drops as it leaves no doubt when doing fitting out after new wiring as any marks on cables (nicks ect) can be lost & if later doing alterations no chance of spuring into a switch line thinking it's a feed as colours correct all the way!
Having said that my local wholesalers say they keep twin brown for me & one other local firm only,
it used to say in earlier editions of 'der rules' "good workmanship is essential for compliance with these regulations", some thing I am pleased to see is back in the 17th ed!
I'm an argumentative old goat too as you will have seen, why not use the right thing if it's available? it doesn't cost much more than the wrong thing & can be useful for wiring boilers ect where more than one live in circuit, & you don't need to carry so much sleeving!
regards SPARX

sic
Labourer
Labourer

by sic » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:30 pm

sorry just after some more information. are these quotes the same in the 17th edition if out ????

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:02 pm