Lights Constantly on after Changing Light Fitting in Hallway

Postby simonq82 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:16 am

Hi,
I bought a new light fitting for my hallway. After changing other light fittings around the house I felt fairly confident about doing it. I matched up all the reds, blacks etc etc and when turning the power back on the fuse kept blowing. I understand that one of the two black wires is from the switch so I pulled it out and capped it off as there is nowhere else for it to go. This then leaves me with the problem of the lights being permanently on. As there is nowhere else for that wire to go on the light fitting I'm not really sure what to do with it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Simon
simonq82
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:10 am

Connect reds together but do not connect to light and use that capped off black instead. Also put some red tape around that odd black as it is line not neutral.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!