Lights in Shed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dp639
Labourer
Labourer

Lights in Shed

by dp639 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:27 am

Hi, I am looking for a some advice on the following. I've an old shed which does not have power at the moment. It is 50m from my garage.

What I'd like to do is put 3 lights in the shed. This is something I need done as soon as possible. I realize the best thing to do would be to call in an electrician but I because of the hard times at the moment I like to try this myself or at least do all the 'donkey' work.

I plan on putting SWA underground from the garage to the shed - but at the moment I just have a 50m extension - this is just to get me through the next few weeks. I'll only be using the shed for 10 mins at time and the extension lead will be unplugged between these times!

My planned Solution so far:
1) I'm putting 3 lights up, all to be run from the same switch.

2) Adding a socket to the wall of the shed.

3) Running the 3 lights via plug into the socket.

4) Do I use a junction box at the first light to allow me to continue to the second light or is there another way of doing this?

Questions:
Short term solution:
1) The socket will for the moment be wired with a plug at the far end into the above mentioned extension lead, is this OK?

Long term solution:
1) When I bring the SWA into the shed, what do I use to terminate it?

2) Is this what I what I will need to use to wire my socket to?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I hope I can just the extension lead for a couple of weeks, getting the SWA underground at the moment is not an option - its a couple of days work for me and also the ground is frozen solid. I know the whole idea of extension leads are a no-no but sometimes you have to do what you can.

Best Regards
Darren

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 pm

The UK regulations require you first to apply to the LABC (Local Authority Building Control) and pay their fees of £100+ to DIY so likely cheaper to employ an registered electrician who may sub-contract you to dig the trench.

Do talk to electrician first as to sign the paper work he has to be in control so burying cable then asking him to connect will not work.

50m is also a fair run and will need some calculations. First the ELI will be required and meters to measure that run at £200+ then it will need RCD testing and so on so around £750 worth of test equipment required. So not a DIY job.

Google "theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/mag/2005/16-elect-inst-outdoors.cfm?type=pdf" for more info on shed wiring. A little out of date but a good start.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:13 am