Lights tripping
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rob666
Labourer
Labourer

Lights tripping

by Rob666 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi folks.

I recently had the kitchen plastered and since then my lights keep tripping. The elctrician seemed to think it was the damp due to the plastering and it would sort itself out. However, it has lasted 3 weeks now and no one has a solution!!!! The lights stay on for an hour or two then trip the board. If I leave them for 15 mins or so they will go on again and again stay on for an hour. Its very frustrating

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Lights tripping

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 pm

[quote="Rob666"]Hi folks.

I recently had the kitchen plastered and since then my lights keep tripping. The elctrician seemed to think it was the damp due to the plastering and it would sort itself out. However, it has lasted 3 weeks now and no one has a solution!!!! The lights stay on for an hour or two then trip the board. If I leave them for 15 mins or so they will go on again and again stay on for an hour. Its very frustrating[/quote]

Rob666
Get your electrician to do a complete test and inspection of the the whole lighting circuit

BLAKEY1963

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I would agree that with an old installation damp and dust can cause tracking and when dry the fault can clear it's self. However often the tracking causes a deposit of carbon and even when dried out the carbon will still allow current to flow even when dried out.
If it is tripping a RCD then it could be very little current flowing and it will likely mean the switch boxes need cleaning of any dust or plaster drips.
However if it is the MCB tripping then the situation seems more serious and really unlikely to be caused by wet plaster.
The fact that some time elapses between switching on lights and tripping I would think it is more likely caused by some thing heating up. And I would be looking at an florescent lamps.
There is an exception where mineral insulated cable is used. But unless your living in a stone cottage or a listed building where there is a fire worry it is unlikely any normal house will be wired with mineral insulated cable.
The meters used to detect the problems are not cheap and use 500v to high light problems so as already said it's time to get electrician back and tell him to sort it. It is not a DIY job as most DIY people will not have the 500 volt ohm meter required. (Often called a megga) The electrician should be able to tell you how many meg ohms it is to earth which means he has measured not guessed.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm