Link a new solid block wall to an existing brick wall
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rino
Labourer
Labourer

Link a new solid block wall to an existing brick wall

by rino » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:19 am

Hi
I want to extend one side wall of my garage by building a new solid block wall approx 2.3m high and link this to the end of the existing brick garage wall. What is the best method to link these two wals together making sure it is solid and waterproof? I was thinking of inserting wall ties to the new wall and removing the mortar from every other brick from the old one and cement these in, not sure if the cement is good enough to seal the vertical joint of the two wall for waterproofing.
Please help!!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 pm

Click on this link

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=483465&a=61071&m=1228

To go to a wall tie pack with which you fix a galvanised plate up the existing wall and slot in wall ties regularly to build the new wall up to. It is the recognised way off "adding on" unless you choose to cut out bricks from the old wall to build the new wall into as a tie. This way is called toothing. The wall tie pack is fixed into position and then the joint is filled with mortar as you lay the bricks or blocks. If this joint is packed solidly there should be no water penetration at all.

rino
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks Doctor Rgrds Rino

by rino » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:58 pm

[quote="thedoctor"]Click on this link

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=483465&a=61071&m=1228

To go to a wall tie pack with which you fix a galvanised plate up the existing wall and slot in wall ties regularly to build the new wall up to. It is the recognised way off "adding on" unless you choose to cut out bricks from the old wall to build the new wall into as a tie. This way is called toothing. The wall tie pack is fixed into position and then the joint is filled with mortar as you lay the bricks or blocks. If this joint is packed solidly there should be no water penetration at all.[/quote]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:10 am