Listed building consent - extending a cellar
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Amanensia
Labourer
Labourer

Listed building consent - extending a cellar

by Amanensia » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a grade 2 listed residential building. The building already has a small cellar, and I would like to extend the cellar somewhat - probably by about 10 sq m. This would be to create extra room for the purposes of a wine cellar.

The extension would not create any exterior changes (no lightwells) so I understand that in the normal course of events no planning permission would be required. However, I am sure I will need listed building consent for the works. The property is detached, there would be no party wall considerations and the extension would not extend beyond the existing footprint of the property.

Does anybody know what sort of criteria are relevant for LBC? Is this teh sort of development that would be viewed as very minor and unlikely to be a problem, or could it be more of an issue? Naturally I'll ask the district council as well, but I am half expecting a reply along the lines of "if you apply, you'll find out"!

Many thanks for your thoughts.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:27 pm

The fact that you are effectively tunnelling away under your property turns this into a structural alteration for which you will need building regulation apporoval from your Building Control officer....So yes, you need to talk to them to find out what is involved.

Amanensia
Labourer
Labourer

by Amanensia » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Many thanks for that - I'll know I'll have to follow building regs and so forth, I just wondered if anyone had a clue whether the development would even be permitted - if there's very little chance, that would make a difference to whether I would be interested in the property (sad, I know). I've emailed the council to ask for some guidance but I'm not expecting a rapid reply!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1