Load Bearing Walls
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andorphin
Labourer
Labourer

Load Bearing Walls

by Andorphin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:16 am

Hey Everyone.

I have just moved into a house that was built in the 1960's, the orignal plans for the house wre that it had 3 lower rooms plus a small hallway, but it has had a wall removed making it only 2 rooms.

The wall is made from breeze blocks, and has had two joists nailed together placed above it and they no span the length of where the wall used to be, this beam is not very pretty and I want to take it out, as with the remaining section of the previous wall.

Now I am a little confused here, the other wall downstairs is also made of breeze block and has all the timber joists resting on it, so I assume this to be load bearing as the floor boards run parallel to this wall. however upon removing the plaster from the ceiling I have noticed that there is a steal girderrunning parallel with this wall and it rests on top of the beam I want to remove, (the steal beam runs the full width of house) so the question is, [b]can this beam be removed or its it needed to support the steal beam inside the ceiling?[/b]

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:34 am

You need professional help. Get someone in to have a look at it please and give you on the spot advice - before you take somethin out and the house falls down.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:03 am