Load limit of double sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
will_
Labourer
Labourer

Load limit of double sockets

by will_ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:51 am

Hi,

At work, we are installing a few computers near our existing photocopiers. They will all be fed from the same double socket (via extension leads). I realise this is not idea but we there are no other sockets in the area.

There are two photocopiers, specified as drawing "up to 8A". (Hmm, this is 16A between them but they've been there since before my time and seem to work.) The computers are pretty old and will be switched on individually (to limit in-rush current), so I've estimated they'll draw no more than 300W each.

I understand how to convert between power, voltage and current, I know that each socket it limited to 13A, and I have read that each ring main is limited to at 30A (fuse) or 32A (MCB).

My question is this: Can a double socket supply 13A per socket, or 13A per pair of sockets? If it's 13A per pair of sockets, we'll have to have a rethink.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:30 pm

13 amp per socket. but of course still 20/30/32 amp max on supply fuse/MCB main problem is many non domestic are on radials so 20 amp not 32 amp max.

will_
Labourer
Labourer

by will_ » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks, Eric. In that case, I suppose it'll just be a case of firing everything up and seeing if the MCB trips.

I also have an extension lead I made some time ago with an AC ammeter in series, which I will use to check the current being drawn by the photocopiers and computers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 pm