Locating a Hot Tub on decking
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
INelson
Labourer
Labourer

Locating a Hot Tub on decking

by INelson » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi,

I am planning to locate a hot tub weighing about 1500 kg, when full of water and people, on an area of decking. My question is, how should I go about supporting the decking for this weight. The tub is 7ft x 5ft and I had planned to support it on wood posts (100mm sq) , concreted into the ground at a depth of 18ins. The ground is quite hard clay. I thought about using 12 posts, (4 x 3 matrix) double joisted on either side of the posts and then further joists and noggins in between. The joists would be 50 x 150 mm. What are yout thoughts ?. The alternative is laying a concrete foundation and sitting the tub on this foundation and then building the deck around the tub.

Thanks,

Ian

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:31 am

As a permanant feature you may be better to concrete a base. The joist idea would hold it but takes no account of the water which may run under the tub and just sit on the deck, which may eventually lead to rot as you would obviously not be able to treat the deck under the tub when its in place.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:33 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm