I have no overhead ceiling lights. I have an old style copper fuse box. The previous owners of the flat used thick copper wire in the 5amp fuse which was never going to trip. I got an electrician round and he reckons the junction box may have burnt out. The problem is, as I live in a ground floor flat there is no easy way of locating it. The only solution he could come up with is re-wiring which is obviously going to be expensive and cause lots of damage. Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated
You must take the advice of the electrician. If you have pvc (not rubber wiring) it may be possible to utilise some parts of the circuits.
Tracing faulty wiring can be a very time consuming and expensive task, the problem will be that once a circuit has been 'interfered with' it will then have to meet current regulations. Re-wiring may be the most economic option in the long run.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!