loft conversion bungalow

Postby amarok88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi guys,
I have bought a bungalow that has had some work done in the loft. I am just wanting to know a few bits of advice if that is ok regarding finishing it and building regs.

- no planning required as no dormer or roof alterations.

- how much will building regs cost roughly in NE Derbyshire for 1 room approx 19' x 10'

- on a budget so can you draw your own plans? is there a site to assist?

- 2 velux windows already installed (92x62cm) these open are they big enough for fire regs?

- rafters insulated with 2 inch kingspan and then plastered. is this enough insulation?

- floor insulated with rockwool. is this adequate?

- i plan to have a permanent staircase and will get habitat certificate and follow stair regs of 43 degree rise etc. are there any regs on the size of stair opening (i.e 70x120cm?)

- ceiling height is currently 2.3 metres in centre but will reduce with new floor. is the limit 2 metres?

Floor Joists

ok this is where i need the work.
- current joists 3x2 inch spread every 400mm
- span is 7.1 metres but load bearing wall in centre runs full length to make half and half 3.2metres and 3.9 metres.
- there are other walls dotted about as every internal wall is load bearing in the bungalow.
- existing ground floor joists are only 6x2 original from when built in 1957.

as i dont want to loose much ceiling height i dont really want to go thicker than 7 inch. this will knock my ceiling height down to 2.2metres. also there are no gable ends so the joists will require an angle cut to go into the eves. the thicker the joist the sharper the cut?

if i space every 400mm (in the middle of existing joists, not sistering) can i use 7x2 or at a push 7x3 for spans of 3.2 and 3.9 metres?
also will 7 inch of rockwool then be ok for insulation?

as said just a bedroom going up there.

thanks in advance and i appreciate any advice. I am capable with DIY just never had to do one to regs.
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 am


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:14 pm

call the building control officer at the local council, ask him to come round and ask his advise he will have to pass the work anyway.
He will need to inspect what insulation has been installed, mains wired smoke detectors may need to be fitted, a ventilated ridge and soffit vents installed. But he will tell you this he will also give you a costing of local inspection prices
welsh brickie
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby amarok88 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm

do i just have to pay a small fee to get him around to look? also I dont have to go through with the work if he says there is too much. i.e if he starts talking about steel joists the game stops there.
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 am

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

I think its free but I am not 100% sure, If you don't want him round then call an architect he will check it for you,for a fee of course.If there is no dormer then you wont need steels.
welsh brickie
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics