Loft Conversion query
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m bruce
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Conversion query

by m bruce » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:30 pm

Our next door neighbours have begun work on a loft conversion, in an ajoining terraced house. We are worried about the impact this could have on our house and the possibility of damage being caused to our property. I am aware that there are regulations regarding loft conversions but am not clear if, or how,they apply in this situation. I do know that planning permission has not been sought in regards to this conversion, although I understand that planning permission is not always needed. Should the neighbours have notified us of this work before now, as they have never mentioned it to us

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 pm

I was told you only need planning permission to have a loft conversion if:

1) If it alters the way the property lookes externally (fitting a dormer window)
2) If its going to be used as a bedroom

I have been led to undertsand you can fit velux windows and convert your loft for a living space without planning permission.

As for asking or telling you neighbours what you are doing, this is only out of courtesy as if no planning permission is required then ireally it's got nothing to do with your neighbours.

Cant imagine any work they have done impacting on your house, as long as the roof supports are left alone or replaced with suitable supports.

jzhou
Labourer
Labourer

by jzhou » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:09 pm

I have just done my loft conversion and there is a requirement to get Party Wall Agreements with your neighbours because there will be steel or wood beam to be insert to the shared wall to support the floor and/or dormer. You have legal right to stop their work.

JOV
Labourer
Labourer

by JOV » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:01 am

Loft conversions rarley need planning permission unless afront or side facing Dora is being considered.

The degree to which it will affect your ajoining property wil depend on the age of the property.

My house an old 1906 semi had an open attic space into next door which had to be sealed up - which is a good selling point for them.

They cannot refuse the work but can stipulate when it is carried out etc - my neighbour cooperated so no issue and the builder was great.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1