Loft Conversion: Stuck on Universal Columns - DIY Forum
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neil17
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Conversion: Stuck on Universal Columns - DIY Forum

by neil17 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:49 pm

hi there all, the question I am stuck on is the universal columns need to go at the same height as the current joists but unfortunately the steels need to run at right angles to the joists. so i need to remove all the joists to install the steels HOW??. I cant put the steels above the joists because one end is in the party wall and the outside end would be five inches above the wall?? and i cant raise the wall as its not in the dormer??

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:35 pm

neil17,
You'll probably have to cut a clearance slot through all the joists (support the ceiling below), drop the steels in place with continuous timber filling the recess and then fit joist hangers under the joists nailing these to the timber fillers.
end

neil17
Labourer
Labourer

cutting joists

by neil17 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 pm

thanks stoneyboy, problem is i cant just slot the joists, the steels need to go through the full depth of the joists to be able to sit on the outer wall. To cut them I need to brace the roof and wall plates. Without bracing the wall plates tying them together somehow I sure the walls would spread !!! The roof has 3 main struts supporting the 3 main purlins, each strut transfering the load down to the central load bearing wall. These supports hold the roof up, but the roof also needs tying together at the bottom ends of the rafters!! thats my problem ? I need to know if its possible or if Ive got to go back to my architects thanks for the input

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 pm

neil17,
In that case you will need to fit a steel with bent legs at either end so the steel fits above the existing joists. This will mean loosing headroom in the loft conversion.
end

neil17
Labourer
Labourer

steels with bent legs

by neil17 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:25 pm

cheers stoneyboy, sorry taken so long to reply. great idea. I,m a steel fabricator myself but not usually houses so not familiar with exact way of doing it, I've got ideas but as usual I'd like to do it the standard way to avoid any problems with conformity. I can do the work myself if I can see how it's done. Can't find any pictures? is it just cut and welded at the required angle? Any chance you know where I can see an example any help much appreciated cheers neil
By the way if I'm putting the steels above the joists I'll put them above the new ones as the steels are only to hold up the roof

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:42 pm

neil17,
"is it just cut and welded at the required angle?" YES
You will need to get a structural engineer to do the calcs if you are going for LA approval.
Sorry can't find any pictures.
end

neil17
Labourer
Labourer

steel

by neil17 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:11 am

cheers stoneyboy I managed to get hold of my structural engineer at last and he confirmed its just cut at required angle and fully butt welded problem over thanks for the help regards neil

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm