Loft Conversion, whats involved?????
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ron DIY'er
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Conversion, whats involved?????

by Ron DIY'er » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Ok i'm outta my depth with this, we're thinking of buying a bungalow but only if we can put on a full loft conversion, its a semi, theres room in the roof space, the loft is being used as a bedroom but looks to be an amaturish job so may not have building approval.
Is there a limit to size of dormer i can put on front and back? Any idea of regs? or do they vary according to region and cost wise is there a rule of thumb to calculate if i got a builder to do it?

Any help or advice would be a huge help!!!

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 pm

Some properties benefit from PD (Permitted Development) rights, which means homeowners can carry out certain works without requiring planning approval. There are PD restrictions though and one of these being no dormers on the front elevation, i.e. facing the highway. So if you wanted to go ahead with dormers to the front (as well as the back), then you would need to submit a planning application.

There's not an easy yes or no to your question. It varies from area to area and on a case by case basis. You could obtain pre-application advice via the local planning authrority and also have a look on the road to see who else has had it done, so you know there may be a chance of it seeking approval.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 am