Loft insulation and protecting spot lights
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gilbertdave
Labourer
Labourer

Loft insulation and protecting spot lights

Post by gilbertdave » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to insulate my loft area before the approaching winter. I currently have approximately 50mm of insulation which I know to be insufficient.

Once the new insulation is down, I want to board the loft to free up a good amount of storage space. So, if I were to put board directly onto the joists this would only mean I have around 100mm of space before I start to compress the insulation (I'm guessing my joists are 2"x 4").

Is there any problem with the insulation being compressed ?

I have looked at step by step guides online which sugges that I should put a layer of insulation between the joists, then another layer at 90 degrees on top of the joists, but this would prevent me laying boards wouldn't it ?

Also, I have spot lights fitted to my bedroom and bathroom. Is it safe to put insulation over the top of these or do I need to fit heat deflectors ?

finally, where would I stand in terms of a Home information pack when it comes to selling my house if I decide to only install another 100mm or so ?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

Gimlet
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Gimlet » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Dave,

I was faced with [b]topping up inadequate loft insulation [/b]- Robert Mitchum, John Wayne and other cowboys had built my extension. Insulation needs to be 270mm minimum for current regs, I had only 100mm so bought 170mm from Wickes (BOGOF offer and cheapest option). Ovelaying top-up at right angles is best but can make for a more difficlt job if crwaling over joists.

It is important not compress the material or you will reduce its effectiveness. (Also make sure at least 25mm gap at eaves for air flow -adding slate/tile vents worth considering). If you insulate your loft well, then the space you plan to store in will be hot in summer and cold in winter - may not suit you? To 'floor' your space and fit fibre material you would have to raise the height of the flooring off the joists. Alternatively fit something like Kingspan for insulation.

[b]Protecting potlights[/b] - instead of leaving gap or fitting boxes or heat deflectors I replaced all my conventional bulbs with Megaman low energy -nothing like the heat of conventional bulbs.

Gimlet[/b]

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:40 am