Loft Insulation and Ventilation Advice Needed for PC Gaming Area
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

mdavenport
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Insulation and Ventilation Advice Needed for PC Gaming Area

by mdavenport » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Ive got a loft which is 9m x 9m with a 8ft 6" pitched roof. It has Rosemary tiles with a felt on them which is visible from inside the loft.

I have 100mm insulation in between all the floor rafters and have 50% boarded out.

I have PVC facias and soffits and on a windy day I can feel a breeze in the attic.

I have a bay window in the bedroom and therefore the eaves are 1m wide around this area and I have only a small amount of loft insulation in this area as to not block the eaves from breathing but likewise provide some installation above the bedroom window (or just behind it).

I have quite a bit of storage in the loft (boxes etc). Some of which are filling corners of the loft - which I think I need to move out a bit to ensure good airflow all around.

I also have a PC in the loft and spend 5-7 hours per week up there on the PC (gaming).. When I am up there the loft lid is open and I have to have a halogen heater on me to keep me warm! It does get cold up there and draughty.

I cover the PC with a cotton bed sheet but have noticed of late it feels ever so slightly damp, along with some of the boxes feel softer. I've also noticed a couple of untreated screws on the case of the PC going a bit rusty.

My questions are:

1. How do I prevent this rust and damp?

2. Should I cover the PC in some other sheeting that allows it to breath?

3. How can I get it warm in the loft so its comfortable up there when I am on the PC? I have looked at this product, is it any good? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuzet-1711-Alum ... op?ie=UTF8

4. By fitting such a product and making it warmer up there, will I cause more of a problem with damp?

5. I assume if I run this foil down from the top to the bottom, do I just stop when it meets the 100mm insulation and rafter?

6. Do I start at the top and work down or start bottom and work up?

7. Should I shut the loft lid when up there to prevent any moisture rising in there? Although its nice to have some heat coming up (not that it stays there though).

8. Has anyone tried this product to get better ventilation? http://www.amazon.co.uk/EASYVENT-LOFT-V ... B00QIH3WGI

Hope you can help me make my loft bearable and not have to wear gloves when on my PC as I can't feel my fingers, I hope you can help me remove any condensation and prevent things rusting..

All comments and recommendations are welcome.

Mark

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am