Loft Insulation At Inner Side Roof Rafters
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jam220
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Insulation At Inner Side Roof Rafters

by jam220 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi,

I wondered if anyone can offer advice with regard to home insulation at the rafters.

My house is a mid-terraced 1930's 3-bedroomed property. I am in the process of insulating my loft rafters (inner side of the tiles). However, I have noticed that the inner side are showing bare tiles throughout, basically there isn't any inner roof felt - just bare tiles.

I am was thinking about either using the foil rolls (stapled) across the rafters or possibly use polystyrene blocks (squeezed fit type). Could anyone advise if this is worth doing (especially the foil rolls) or will it be a waste of time and money? as the outer side of the foil would no doubt get dirty and may eventually fall off as its against the inner side of the roof tile. Any advice on how best for me to tackle this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:08 pm

jam220,
If you want to use the loft as a room use whichever method you are comfortable with but do leave a gap under the tiles for ventilation.
If it is just a loft insulate the floor.
end

jam220
Labourer
Labourer

by jam220 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for your comments stoneyboy, very much appreciated.

Essentially, my boiler is in my loft, during very cold periods in the winter, the thermostat automatically switches the boiler on to stop the pipes from freezing. This does however make a bit of noise in the middle of the night for the occupant in the room immediately underneath it - when the boiler fires up and down every couple of hours or so througout the night.

I was looking to undertake this to try & keep an ambient/warmer temperature in the loft to avoid the boiler firing up (at night)

- loft to be used for light storage only apart from the above issue.

Hope this makes sense!
Cheers,

jam220

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:21 pm

jam220,
I would suggest you try to soundproof the ceiling of the room below the boiler and to isolate the boiler from and common structural elements.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:53 pm