Loft insulation for 2 inch rafters for boarding out loft for storage
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Beavis69101
Labourer
Labourer

Loft insulation for 2 inch rafters for boarding out loft for storage

Post by Beavis69101 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:40 am

I want to board out my loft for storage and a bit of extra space.

Prior to that, I would like to insulate it.

The query I have is that the beams are only about 60mm, so standard rolls aren't suitable, due to not being able to lose head space, with raised boards.

Could I have some advice opinions on alternatives, as I can only raise the loft boards by another 30mm at a push?

-Are foil or foam sheets any good for under the lift boards?
-Or would I be better going for a warm loft and lagging the space under the actual roof?
-If I were to do the roof, should I get it checked externally before hand and also the internal felt? (What is a rough cost for this?)
-If I'm lagging the roof, what is the most cost efficient way? (Had an estimate for spray on foam, and this was £2.5k which is a bit excessive)

I'd liked to get as near to the u values for insulation rolls as I can if possible.

Thanks.

ONLINE INSULATION
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Loft insulation for 2 inch rafters for boarding out loft for storage

Post by ONLINE INSULATION » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 am

Hi Beavis69101

We may be able to help you with this...

Firstly I suggest that you should consider if the roof space is designed to take any weight. I know this may sound silly but certainly more and more newer houses are being built with Trusses only designed to take the weight of the ceiling and not much more.

Once you have confirmed that the load bearing will be fine for the design of the roof, you could look at something like Celotex in the rafters, in the pitched element of the roof. The roof would need to have a Felt or Breather Membrane within its construction but if it is a newer house, that should be there.

With regards to price, it depends on the size of the roof and the thickness of the insulation required. We have a few easy to use U-value calculators on our website and you will be able to get an idea of price too.

I would be more than happy to offer further help.

Rob

Beavis69101
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Beavis69101 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

It's a 1940s terraced house, so they are beams, if a bit short.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ONLINE INSULATION
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ONLINE INSULATION » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:53 am

Hi, We will be more than happy to advise you further over the phone on 01509 649065. Unfortunately, we can't go much further in this format as there are some specific questions we would need to ask to get to the right solution.

Regards,

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:14 am