Loft space is VERY hot this time of year.
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TeaIsForTony
Labourer
Labourer

Loft space is VERY hot this time of year.

by TeaIsForTony » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi all,

My partner has recently purchased a top floor flat with a converted loft (converted as an 'un-inhabitable' space, i.e, no fire escape, loft ladder access only). It has 2 velux windows and no other means of ventilation. It gets very hot up there when the windows are closed, so much so that the glue on one of my posessions has started to melt. The loft is fully insulated.

Any ideas on how I can cool it down, my current ideas are...

Install some kind of air brick/s - don't know if that would work.
Fit velux blackout blinds - don't know if that would work either.
Air conditioning - not good for environment/expensive.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:21 pm

TeaIsForTony,
The roof should be cross ventilated - have a look for eaves vents and vents towards the top of the roof. Without these you haven't a hope of achieving a reasonable temperature.
I assume you are leaving the velux windows in the night vent position.
end

TeaIsForTony
Labourer
Labourer

by TeaIsForTony » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:40 am

Hi Stoneyboy, thanks for the reply,

The previous owners had dwarf walls fitted 3 sides of the roof (the other is the chimney/party wall), there are vents behind the dwarf walls in the wall (possibly in the roof but I haven't seem them), but no vents in the walls or the roof of the main space (the roof has been insulated and boarded over). Do I need to have vents installed? Is that a pricey process?

The velux windows have a vent position? You have no idea how happy this makes me!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:48 pm

TeaIsForTony,
Installing high level vents is not for the faint hearted. 'You' must get up onto the roof remove some tiles, cut through the felt, install the vent and make good. Not a cheap installation.
Opening the velux main control bar to the first stop position gives a secure night vent postion. Moving the control bar fully open, opening the window slightly and sliding the grey lock pin over locks the window partly open.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:41 am