Logistics Problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Logistics Problem

by Dave From Leeds » Sun May 16, 2010 3:22 am

Soon to fit a new bathroom suite & tile the walls and floor. Floor is not currently tiled. Not sure of the best way to tackle this logistically. Bath and washbasin are in the bathroom with separate toilet.

If I wasn't having the floor tiled I would remove old tiles, fit new suite, then re-tile walls. I'm not sure whether to tile the floor between removing the old suite and installing the new one or to do it after the new suite is in.

Any advice please?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun May 16, 2010 7:40 pm

If you tile before fitting the suite - there'll be less tile cutting, but you will use more tiles and alot will not be seen, under bath etc - waste of money ?

Also tiling before installing the suite - you're creating a type of wet room, therefore leaks, overflow - or splashes should not get through to the floor - may be desirable if fitted upstairs or have a wooden floor

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Logistics Problem

by plumbbob » Sun May 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Dave From Leeds wrote:
If I wasn't having the floor tiled I would remove old tiles, fit new suite, then re-tile walls. I'm not sure whether to tile the floor between removing the old suite and installing the new one or to do it after the new suite is in.

Any advice please?

And that's still the way you do it accept you fit the bath first. Just remember to allow for the extra height of the floor when setting the bath height.

Tiling around pottery is tricky and will never look good. Tiling the floor after the walls reduces the possibility of damage caused by scratching or dropping something. You can even tile the walls before fitting the bath (more room, less damage). Just leave the last row until after it is fitted.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Mon May 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks gents. Plumbbob, you've confirmed what I was thinking, that it would be better to tile the floor before fitting the toilet bowl and pedestal basin to get a neater job.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:20 am