Looking for an Old Favourite Tool for Smoothing Putty
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mikey1955
Labourer
Labourer

Looking for an Old Favourite Tool for Smoothing Putty

by Mikey1955 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi folks.
I am new to the forum so I hope that someone out there will be able to help.
Over 30 or so, years ago! I used to have a brilliant tool which was perfect for smoothing in newly applied putty.
The only way I describe it is that it was a triangular shaped piece of plastic, with which you gripped in the centre.
When viewed from above, the three edges of the triangle were slightly curved and the sides of the tool were angled to suit the profile of the finished putty.
I found that this was absolutely brilliant in achieving a perfect finish to the putty,
especially into the corners
Does anyone else out there remember this simple but clever tool, and if so, do they still exist and where can I get one from ?

Thanks for reading my request.

thedoctor

Re: Looking for an Old Favourite Tool for Smoothing Putty

by thedoctor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:28 am

Wow, never seen one but please, please, if anyone out there can provide pictures or brand names please do post, we will be waiting for the answer as eagerly as you !!#

If you run out of patience and decide to just use a putty knife like the rest of us mere mortals, you can get a great one here for £4 (December 2015)

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... -38mm.html

John_Wilts
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Looking for an Old Favourite Tool for Smoothing Putty

by John_Wilts » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:22 am

Hi Mikey1955. I’ve found your post 7 years on - because I have the same problem!

I, too, was an owner of that terrific glazing tool, but I can’t find it anywhere and I need to replace a number of panes. I can use a putty knife, but that triangular tool saved so much time. Did you ever find another one?

Regards, John

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:58 pm