loose door casing external door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diyweekend
Apprentice
Apprentice

loose door casing external door

by diyweekend » Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 pm

Please can you advise me the best way to firm up a loose door casing and the hinges side of my back door. It is a hard wood frame to a hard wood dooor with a double glazed top window.

there is some slight movement noticable on the door casing about 3 to 5mm side to side the casing is not falling away from the wall.

Is the best way forward to drill three equally spaced holes plug and screw the casing firmly to the wall. This movement will only get worse in time as the door is heavy. I am looking to repair as soon as possible

thank you for your replys :lol:

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu May 01, 2008 10:10 pm

YES THATS THE WAY TO DO IT.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

loose door

by welsh brickie » Fri May 02, 2008 8:56 am

take a flat screwdriver and hammer and cut a small area of plaster
on the inside of the frame were the doors loose then use expanding foam
to fill the gap,then when dry cut back foam and polyfill. the foam will
expand in the gap and adhere to the frame and hold the frame solid.

diyweekend
Apprentice
Apprentice

by diyweekend » Fri May 02, 2008 10:28 am

Thank you for the replys. On checking round the door frame last night it was evident that the mastic round the door has dried and cracked just on the hinge side. I am planning on removing and replacing the mastic, hopefully this will firm up the frame. If this does not work i will try the expanding foam method.

Thank you once again for your replys it is much appreciated, Have a good and safe bank holiday everyone

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Fri May 02, 2008 6:14 pm

D,

IF YOU CHOOSE TO GO WITH WELSH BRICKIE'S FOAM METHOD WHICH IS A PERFECTLY VALID ONE, CAN I ADD A TIP!!!

ENSURE THE LOOSE FRAME IS HELD SECURELY IN ITS CORRECT POSITION BY EITHER PROPPING THE FRAME OPENING FROM SIDE TO SIDE USING A PIECE OF TIMBER.

OR

CLOSING THE DOOR AND TAPPING IN A COUPLE OF WOODEN WEDGES INTO THE GAPS INBETWEEN THE SIDES OF THE DOOR AND FRAMES TO HOLD SECURE BEFORE APPLYING THE FOAM.

IF FOAM GETS INBETWEEN WALL AND FRAME AND IS ALLOWED TO EXPAND UNRESTRICTED, THEN THIS MAY FORCE THE FRAME FURTHER OUT THAN IS DESIRED AND MIGHT WELL CAUSE THE DOOR TO FOUL ON THE OPENING SIDE FRAME ,GIVING YOU MORE WORK TO DO!!!!

HAPPY BANK HOLIDAY TO DIYWEEKEND, WELSH BRICKIE AND EVERYONE ON/AT THE FORUM.

ALDA.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 am