Losing The Neutral In A 2 Way Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oldalex01
Apprentice
Apprentice

Losing The Neutral In A 2 Way Switch

by Oldalex01 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:40 pm

I have a double 2 way switch. One of the switches operates, together with an upstairs switch,the light on the landing.Works perfectly well. The other switch is installed as an off/on control for two wall lights in the downstairs entrance hallway. It used to work. I can not remember if more work has been done in the house in that area but I do know it does not operate correctly now. When I use L1 and the common as the terminals the lights stay on permanently, When I use L2 and the common the lights will not work at all. A bathroom fitter happened to be in my house one day and mentioned that he had served his time as an electrician and confidently said that I had lost the neutral. He did not have the time to expand on that and was gone. Was he right and if so what does he mean and how do I correct the problem. I would be grateful for any advice on this matter.
Regards Oldalex01

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Losing The Neutral In A 2 Way Switch

by proptech » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Oldalex01
The fact that you can get the lights to work indicates there is no neutral fault. Without any more info on your wiring, I would suggest you have a faulty switch.

Oldalex01
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Oldalex01 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:46 am

proptech wrote:Hi Oldalex01
The fact that you can get the lights to work indicates there is no neutral fault. Without any more info on your wiring, I would suggest you have a faulty switch.

Many thanks proptech.I will follow up your advice and replace the two gang switch. I did at one point swop the switches round with no change in the outcome. That is that the landing light worked perfectly well and the wall lights responded as before.

Oldalex01
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Oldalex01 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks "proptech" you were spot on. I bought a new switch and bingo all the troubles were solved. I must say It crossed my mind that the trouble was with the switch but i discounted the Idea because it is such a simple component and it was manufactured by a very reputable company.
Alls well that ends well though and thanks again.
Regards Oldalex01

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:59 pm