Losing the Will With Loft Conversion - Advice on Room Layout Needed
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alwaystrouble
Labourer
Labourer

Losing the Will With Loft Conversion - Advice on Room Layout Needed

by alwaystrouble » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi All.
Worked like a dog last 18 months juggling 2 jobs, 3 kids and a demanding wife to raise the funds for a loft conversion. Found a recommended builder with a fair price, checked his work, apparently slow but thorough and good quality.
All boxes ticked.
All ready to start, scaffolding in place, materials delivered, drawings done but....the layout of the rooms have still to be finalised and its to put it mildly its bugging me. For some reason we cant deal with the surveyor and its still not resolved.
Ultimately what we want is 2 bedrooms (one master double and a small double), a small study and a small compact shower room.
Now, this may not be possible and if not then the best possible compromise.
I have enclosed several images. The loft plan shows a bathroom that is unnecessarily big with wasted space.
A few issues I am unsure of are:
Does the toilet have to be on an exterior wall, is this absolutely correct?
The dormer is not the full width to satisfy the maximum volume allowance. However is it possible to take some from bedroom 5 and add to bedroom 4 as in my crude drawing?
If anyone can answer any of these questions or offer some design planning advice for the layout it would help me sleep easier...
Attachments
loft drawing
loft drawing
loft drawing.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
rear elevation
rear elevation
rear elevation.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
front elevation
front elevation
front elevation.jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
loft plan
loft plan

DIYDoctor1
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Losing the Will With Loft Conversion - Advice on Room Layout Needed

by DIYDoctor1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi alwaystrouble,
I am sure that you will have resolved the cause of your sleepless nights by now, but if not I would suggest that your recommended builder should be able to talk to you about all these issues. If he is recommended he should have dealt with all these (and many more) issues in the past and will be able to explain them to you.

It is quite hard to follow the plans and your annotations which probably accounts for the lack of response you have received. You builder will be totally families with them, the building regulations and the planning rules so I would use this very valuable resource you have.

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Losing the Will With Loft Conversion - Advice on Room Layout Needed

by michaelbailey » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't think the toilet should be on an external wall it only needs connecting to the existing soil pipe

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am