Low hot water pressure
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gkelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Low hot water pressure

by gkelly » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:27 pm

I have checked through all the plumbing posts, but none answer my question easily!
All i want to know is how to increase my hot water coming through mt mixer tap in my kitchen.
All my other taps are fine, and the cold water out of the mixer is fine too.

We recently had a new kitchen fitted and the water pressure was ok before.

Any simple ideas please!? :roll:

bmplumb
Labourer
Labourer

by bmplumb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:31 pm

what type of hot water system do you have as some taps require minimum 1 bar to function properly

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 am

Modern mixer taps, by regulation, don't mix hot & cold, but deliver hot and cold via 2 small-bore pipes to the tip of the spout ; so they are a flow restriction compared with ordinary taps, or compared with old-style mixers which did blend within the body of the assy., but could let mains-pressure cold water back-feed up the hot lines.
Flow of hot water can be increased by raising the height of the loft header-tank, and increasing pipe diameters.
Some mixer-taps may be fitted with larger internal pipes than others--check at your plumbers-supplies counter.

gkelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

water pressure

by gkelly » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:41 pm

By hot water system - i am not sure what you mean.....i have a combi boiler, so have instant hot water, is that any help?

I dont particulary want to go mooching around in my loft to be honest. And the previous mixer taps were not old at all and the pressure coming out of that one was fine......so i dont understand why its not the same..

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:56 am

My reference to raising the loft-tank is null & void as your combi heats mains water in a heat-exchanger, so flow is dependant on mains pressure, and boiler flame-setting, and gas pressure. Normally the kitchen tap is the least likely to give poor hot supply, even given that it is likely fed by 15 mm pipes.
However, your plumber may have installed isolator valves en-route to the kitchen/washing m/c /dishwasher area. If these are not fully open, or small-bore ball-valves typical of washing m/c isolators, they would be worth investigating.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 pm