Lowering ceiling?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Geoff_Potts
Labourer
Labourer

Lowering ceiling?

by Geoff_Potts » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:23 am

hi all, first post and not sure if I'm in the right area, but I couldn't find any similar topics.
I live in the house that jack built, and all his incompetent relations have added extensions too! My sons bedroom roof leaked a while ago causing his ceiling to sag. I've pulled down all wet plaster board and have new sheets to redo the ceiling, however, my sons ceiling is 9ft tall whilst all the other rooms in the house are 8ft, so for appearance sake I'd like to install the new ceiling at 8ft.
Other than making a frame and fastening boards to it are there any problems I should watch for?
I was also going to fill the difference between new and old ceiling with rockwool - good idea or not?
Whats the best way of fixing battons to wall for supporting sheets?
thanks in anticipation for any advice at all.

neald
Apprentice
Apprentice

by neald » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:55 pm

hi geoff,firstly make sure the leak is fixed!! i've just done my ceiling and i used sheet ply to cover over old joists and lowered the ceiling by 2ft,i didn't use any rockwool as the loft space has been insulated,i cut the timbers slightly oversize and wedged them to wall and used screws and plugs,fixed new joists to correct width, noggins etc and boards went straight on then taped and skimmed and it looks great.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:07 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:18 am