Lowering Raised Floor in old Jacuzzi Room

Postby prosonman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:02 pm

The house I have had an extension to the utility room for a Jacuzzi. The Jacuzzi has long since been remove and boarded over. I would like to lower the floor to match the utility room to make one large utility room or second kitchen.

The floor joists are currently 2 foot above the DPC and I would like to know if I can lower them so they sit on top of the DPC? If this can be done, would you recommend attaching the joists to the wall with hangers or should I make hole in the block work? The height of the joists when lowered will by 1 brick height from the concrete base.

There are no air bricks, is this likely to be a problem as I was hoping to insulate between the joists when there lowered?

Attached is a picture if it helps.

Thanks
Attachments
Image 2.jpg
Image 1.jpg
prosonman
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby welsh brickie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:44 pm

I would remove the joists all together, insulate and concrete the floor to the desired height. Joists need air to circulate so moisture does not rot the floor
welsh brickie

Postby spencermoseley » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:13 am

welsh brickie, you are right.
spencermoseley
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby spencermoseley » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:54 am

How much you spent?
spencermoseley
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!