Just bought a new house and the lights are in a bad shape. Lots of brand new LV lighting that does not work very well.
- Some downlights switch off as if overheated (they are in a recess just in front of a cupboard and so have plenty of space to breathe)
- Downlights in bathroom keep going off (the connection between the lights and the wire are blackened and they appear to have burned-out/short-circuited at some time)
- The bedroom lights are all halogen capsules and they appear to have been burned out as well with wires melted
- Some of the halogen capsule lights take a second or so to come on when the light switch is put on, as if taking time to warm up...and then they trip off after some time...as if overheated
Not sure what to do about each of these problems. And in places where the wires have burned out, not sure whether I can buy the wire looms standalone,without buying the downlights/halogen capsule light fittings/transformers.
Any advice would be helpful. I live in North London.
I assume you are referring to 12v lights with transformers.
The transformers need to be located away from heat sources and away from insulation otherwise they will overheat and turn off. Some of the electronic transformers have a short time lag before they work - it is normal.
The halogen capsules have probably been fitted by someone using their uncovered fingers - the oil in skin causes premature failure of the capsules.
The wires to the lights are available but make sure you replace the connectors as well. Use 5a connectors and do up the screws really tightly or you will get a repeat of the same problem.
I have had a closer look and the lights are all over the place. One room needs GU10 bulbs, another 50W LV MR16 bulbs, a third 20W LV MR16 bulbs, some rooms need 10V halogen capsules and a final one requires 20V halogen capsules. The tenants who lived in the house before we moved in have put in the wrong bulbs in the wrong rooms and that is resulting in premature bulb failure and the switching off of overheated bulbs. This weekend I have replaced all bulbs with the right voltage and that should solve that problem.
I now plan to change the lamp holders (MR16 and G4 halogen capsule) that have suffered damage next weekend and will take the advice of changing the 5a connectors as well. I'm still wondering though why the wires would have burnt / short circuited. Could the wrong wattage of bulb have caused this or should I worry about a short somewhere in the system? Nothing seems to be tripping in the house and so I suspect that this may be a legacy problem and if I change all lamp holders and connectors carefully, I may have cleared the problem.
Any suggestions as to where I will find these lampholders in North/Central London would be appreciated and any suggestions as to why the wires could have burnt out.
Can't tell you where to source lampholders live miles away.
but out off interest what type of breakers do have in your cu/fuse box and what cable size and fuse/breaker rating is your lighting circuit that's causing the problem.
Most likely causes of burnt wiring are, wrong wattage of lamps or loose connections.
You will probably have to ring round you local electrical wholesalers to find replacement leads. If you have to replace the whole light fittings try to use fire rated ones.