makeing joint in mains-water boiler feed
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cliffb
Labourer
Labourer

makeing joint in mains-water boiler feed

by cliffb » Fri May 28, 2010 3:38 pm

I wish to make a T joint in mains water feed to 'ideal classic' boiler for an outside tap, after turning off mains at stop-cock will I have to drain the boiler down and/or the whole system?
3 storey town-house (8 yr old) with boiler on ground floor, large tank on top floor, pressurised system.
Any advise gratefully accepted.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: makeing joint in mains-water boiler feed

by plumbbob » Fri May 28, 2010 6:27 pm

cliffb wrote:I wish to make a T joint in mains water feed to 'ideal classic' boiler for an outside tap,

For an outside tap, you only need to empty the pipes of water. Just turn the mains stop tap off and open all the cold taps.

What does make me slightly uncomfortable is

cliffb wrote: in mains water feed to 'ideal classic' boiler

as system boilers don't have cold mains feeds. We are not talking about a combi boiler are we?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri May 28, 2010 8:15 pm

No - just turn off water at mains stop tap, open all cold taps and carry out task. Make sure it is the cold you tee into.

htg

cliffb
Labourer
Labourer

by cliffb » Fri May 28, 2010 9:34 pm

I have to laugh whenever anyone asks me because I say it is but every plumber says it can't be if it's got a tank ! So I say yes it is a combi boiler and yes it does have a mains (cold) water feed to it. The mains comes direct from the mains inlet in the kitchen under the ground to the utility room then straight up into the boiler. Any good ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat May 29, 2010 4:24 pm

It'll be tank fed for heating (not pressurised) BG liked to do this as it saved on call-outs for loss of pressure when they connected to old radiators and pipework.

htg

cliffb
Labourer
Labourer

by cliffb » Sat May 29, 2010 5:13 pm

Not quite sure why you say it's not pressurised as quite regularly I have to re-pressurise it, the boiler and whole house are under 8 years old, mains water feed to bottom of boiler, 22 mm feed and return in and out of top of boiler (presumably to tank), um, just felt both pipes coming out of top of boiler and both are hot(ish) Obviously I'm not an expert !
Thanks for your help thus far.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat May 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Well...you might have a cold water tank that feeds the bathroom taps.

If it is ... as you say... a pressurised, combi boiler. The tank will have nothing to do with the boiler.

Anyway that's irrelevant - in relation to your initial question. Turn mains cold water off, open all mains cold water taps, tee into mains cold water anywhere that takes your fancy (after the mains stop tap) job done.

If your understanding/description of your system is wrong and there's no cold mains to your boiler (as you can have hot water at mains pressure without it being a combi) then you'll flood your house - lol.

We can only offer advice on the info you give.

Googling Ideal Classic - throws up system boilers - not combi's. Which sounds right for a 3 Storey town house.

What is the boiler model ? Ideal Classic .... there'll be a few numbers and letters.

htg
Last edited by htg engineer on Sun May 30, 2010 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

cliffb
Labourer
Labourer

by cliffb » Sat May 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Have just realised what a lot of people have known for a long time, I'm a complete idiot !
You're quite right it's not a mains water pipe it's the gas supply !!!
Don't worry didn't cut it !
Still don't know if I have a combi-boiler or not though !
Thanks to all for their help and advice anyway.
Must be getting old l.o.l. !!!

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:50 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:17 pm