Making a Bench With Up-Cycled Apple Computers
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chubbycake
Labourer
Labourer

Making a Bench With Up-Cycled Apple Computers

by Chubbycake » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Hello everybody,

First time post, hope you can all help me!

I'm trying my hand at building a bench out of 2 old apple desktop computers and a piece of wood cut to fit snug between the two towers...try the link below to see what I'm on about

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/23/pow ... -furniture

I have the computers and have received 1 quote back from a carpenter to make the wooden part, out of oak. His quote came to £445 so my first question is, is the quote reasonable? Am I silly to have hoped for nearer the £100 mark?

If it will cost that much I'd have to look at cheaper alternatives, so reaching out to you all for ideas on where to get the wood from and should a novice DIY'er try shaping the wood? Or stick with a carpenter?

I live in East ******* and happy to travel in order to get the best deal.

Thank you in advance, happy to fill in any blanks that I may have missed!

thedoctor

Re: Making a Bench With Up-Cycled Apple Computers

by thedoctor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Quote depends on a) the cost of the timber and b) whether the carpenter has included for sanding, waxing/staining/polishing etc. Its about a days work to get the timber to fit snugly in the computer cut-outs and prepare it as a finished job. A top chippy will cost £250 per day at the top of the range so the rest is materials.

Yes you can do this yourself but if you have never done any carpentry I would suggest you forget about cutting a really expensive piece of timber into teh computers and simply lay the plank over both bases sticking it down with some Stixall Adhesive. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... 300ml.html

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:57 am