Making a wooden garden swing chair

Postby nitro23456 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:53 pm

I am considering making a wooden swing chair for the garden. I was thinking an A-frame type design.

What type of timber would be advisable for the A-frame and what for the seat slats and frame would you suggest?

Any pointers (design wise) also greatfully received!
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 pm

the best wood material for garden furniture by far and away is teak - in the quantities you are talking about though it will be horrifically expensive and not exactly eco-friendly.

a good second would be oak, but again its a very expensive material and neither teak nor oak are easy materials to work with if you are not au faix as they are both hardwoods - takes its toll on the ole chisels let me tell you.

cheaper and easier would be pressure treated softwoods such as pine.

Postby mortod » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:44 pm

I used Western Red Cedar which is a very resinous soft wood and therefore quite weather resistant. The bench itself is a very simple elegant design the slats being strung together with bead spacers.
Progress to next rank:

Postby Noms » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Teak is definiately the best timber you can use for this project. Its has high natural oil content and will last for years with little maintenance.
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!