Making concrete pillars or columns using DIY moulds
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Making concrete pillars or columns using DIY moulds

by Simon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 am

I have a reasonable knowledge of DIY in all areas, but this one's got me beat!
I am looking to make, in sections, six concrete pillars or columns approx 200cms tall. These need to be loadbearing, so will need to be hollow to take the necessary steel reinforcing.
I know little about mould work, so any advice or help would be welcome. Does anyone know if these moulds can be hired or bought? If not what is the best way to make them?
I have been quoted in excess of £3000 for these pillars to be made, so you can imagine my keeness to get on with it myself!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Loadbearing concrete columns must be reinforced and the reinforcing goes into the concrete in a "cage". The calculations for making and fixing this cage must be done using the load they are to carry as a formula. It is not something that can be done DIY and involves a structural engineer a qualified Steelfixer and a concrete mix suitable for the compressive load to be applied.

Simon
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Simon » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:20 am

Many thanks for your concern - probably didn't make myself clear. The steel would be loadbearing, the columns decorative to conceal the steel. Does this make a difference to anybody being able to help?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:04 am