Making external wires safe
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JCR1987
Labourer
Labourer

Making external wires safe

Post by JCR1987 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:56 am

Hi,

We're about to pull down our shabby old lean-to but before I do I'll need to take out the current basic wiring that is in there at the moment, but I obviously want to do this safely and with as little disruption as possible.

Firstly there is a light fitting, which is easy enough to take off, but it will leave the wires exposed once i have taken the main bits off. The wire just comes out of the external wall at ceiling height at the back of the house, so I need to know how to tie it off, or remove it. By the looks of it the wire coming out of the wall is parallel with the light fitting in the back room, would this be where it is connected from? If it's of any relevance, the switch for the light is a pull-string.

Also the same problem with a double plug fitting which, again comes out of the external back wall at floor level and is boxed off. I can remove the boxing and the plug socket, but I'll obviously need to either remove or make the wiring safe. The wiring for the plug looks like it comes out of the wall on the other side of an internal double plug socket. Would this be where it is connected from?

Any tips on how to do this properly appreciated.

Regards,
JCR

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Hi JCR1987,

It may be not as Simple as disconnecting all supply to to lean-to before removing cables and fittings, they may be part of other circuits, this will need to be addressed as it could leave you without power elsewhere, it most probally advisable to get professonal help and advise.
Regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:23 pm