making paving slabs waterproof
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
amazondean
Apprentice
Apprentice

making paving slabs waterproof

by amazondean » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi all.
I am after advice if there is anything that can be either painted or applied on top of a paving slab patio to make it waterproof. I have purchased a house that a previous owner laid concrete lintles across an old brick outbuilding when the roof was removed and then laid slabs on top to create a raised patio overlooking the city. Obviously water is penetrating the slabs and morter and running into the outbuilding rendering it useless as a store. Is there anything that may seal the slabs as i don't want the hassle of ripping it all off and was wandering if there is anything that would seal the patio from water penatration. Any ideas would be greatful.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

waterproofing patio

by welsh brickie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:08 pm

1.Cover the entire area in thick bitumin and then laying timber decking on top to protect it.
2.Lay a self level compound over it and tile the area.
3.Get a company to fibreglass over the area

amazondean
Apprentice
Apprentice

by amazondean » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for that. Would the decking need to be fixed to the slabs or would the weight of the decking stay in place. The area is 2.2m x 3.2m approx

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

decking

by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:12 am

you can place the decking on 4x2 treated timber bedded into the bitumin

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 am