making safge exposed lighting cables
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JCDC
Labourer
Labourer

making safge exposed lighting cables

by JCDC » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:22 am

Hi there

I ahve a wall with two lengths of cabling coming out of it. These are wired into the mains. The idea was to install wall lights, but thats not happening now.

Can someone advise as to the ebst way to tidy these up and make safe? The wires are currently exposes to about 18 inches.

IDeally Id just like to get ris of them and decorate over but Im guessing I need to tidfy them up into some sort of box / rose or something?

Many many thanks

JD

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:32 pm

I would use a clock connection unit. There must be something to indicate that the wires are there or you need to completely isolate or remove.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi, if they are live then either they must be removed or made dead then you can simply plaster over.
However if the wires can't be disconnected there must remain an indication they are there.
A flush metal switch box with a blank plate would comply. but not pretty!
An electrical supplier should have a type known as an architrave box which is less than half standard width, but don't know if blank cover available to fit, (never asked for one)
regards Sparx

JCDC
Labourer
Labourer

by JCDC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:05 am

thanks both.

Removal is not an option Im afraid - so I guess ill have to wire up to some sort blank plate and screw that plate to the wall - meaning Ill ahve two light switch type panels but I think thats the only option.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 am