Matt emulsion goes shiny if touched

Postby thames_side » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 am

My walls have been painted with Macpherson matt emulsion coloured Dulux Golden Fern 6 using a roller. It doesn't seem to have hardened properly. You only have to brush against it as you walk up the stairs and it leaves a shiny mark. Any ideas?
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby Did it myself » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:29 am

Not used Macpherson before, but we have been disappointed by loads of brands/types of paint... I'm not pushing this product, but we only use Farrow&Ball now. Its worth the extra couple of £... The matt emulsion gives a good finish but I would use their 'modern emulsion' for areas of 'heavy traffic' as it stands up to the wear and tear and cleans easily.

I know this isn't much help for the walls you have just painted, but for your consideration for next time.
Did it myself
Progress to next rank:

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:48 pm

matt paint, regardless of brand, will mark easily due to it's make-up. dulux do a 'diamond matt' range which it claims is 10 times tougher than ordinary matt. i've used it and found it to be more robust, whether or not with 10x the resistance i couldn't say.

in a heavy traffic area you may want to consider an acrylic eggshell instead.

Postby TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:56 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!