MaxiFlo Water Heater - Economy 7 Issue
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Econ7_Blows
Labourer
Labourer

MaxiFlo Water Heater - Economy 7 Issue

by Econ7_Blows » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Evening all,

This is my first post so be gentle!

I have just moved into a flat that has the economy7 tariff, with really inefficient storage heaters, which cost a kings ransom to use.

This may seem odd but I have stopped using them all together and opted to use two really efficient space heaters to heat the flat, which work very well.

The Economy7 tariff doesn't suit our lifestyle, so I have also switched to a normal tariff. The only issue I have is that the MaxiFlo water heater is still dialed in to economy7 timings and we cant take a shower in the evenings, which is rubbish!

The MaxiFlo has two switches (Economy7 and 24HR). It also has a blank plate, where I think a normal timer can be fitted (see pictures).

My plan is to fit a normal timer so that we have hot water between the hours of (6am-8am then 8pm-10pm).

Questions: Is this possible? What type of timer should I use?
Attachments
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG (18.02 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG (24.11 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: MaxiFlo Water Heater - Economy 7 Issue

by ericmark » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:03 pm

I am sure it is possible. Timers are basic two types. Central heating tend to have 5 amp contacts and immersion heaters 16 amp contacts and any of the latter will do.

Economy 7 as I am sure you realise is a tariff not a system and there were many ways to use the tariff starting with the white meter.

I would need to look at your property to work our what to do there is no one size fits all.

Econ7_Blows
Labourer
Labourer

by Econ7_Blows » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Would really appreciate everyone's input as my other half has had enough... Need a quick fix.

Happy wife, happy life!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:12 am

The Maxflow I think is designed for multi fuel heating and there are often more than one immersion heater fitted. Bottom one would be Econ 7 and top one for boost. The insulation is that good it does not really need a timer just on/off switch.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:34 pm