MCB problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

MCB problem

by russellfl » Sat May 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi,

I I have a problem with a security lighting MCB as it won't stay switched on. I have taken it out of the consumer unit and it's still the same. My consumer unit is made by Proteus and I have found their website but I'm not allowed to purchase another MCB off them as i'm not part p registered.
My friend has a Wylex CU with unwired spare MCB's in it. Is it possible to use one of his MCB's in my Proteus consumer unit? I don't want to call an electrician in for such a simple job if I can help it.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat May 17, 2008 5:32 pm

You don't have to be Part P to use MCB's in industry so I can not understand how any whole sale outlet can know if they are to be used at home or industry. Also you are allowed to change like for like without Part P anyway some MCB's will change over others will not and I don't know which are which. I have never been refused in a whole sale outlet and I am not Part P. I have got C&G 2391, 2381, 2382 etc and degree in electrical engineering but not Part P I do Part P work by first paying fee to council and am allowed to do exactly the same work as those who are Part P except I pay council for each job and reg people pay a clearing agent every year. I think someone is over stepping the mark.

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

MCB Problem

by russellfl » Sun May 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks Ericmark, maybe I got a salesman on a bad day. I will approach them again now as I feel more comfortable after your reply.

Thanks for that.

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

MCB problem

by russellfl » Wed May 21, 2008 10:29 am

Oh joy. I got a salesman and not the cleaner this time. I've got my new MCB and it's in and working fine.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:27 pm