mdf or wood?
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
smofi
Labourer
Labourer

mdf or wood?

by smofi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:00 pm

My joiner is going to be replacing all the old skirtings and architraves with either MDF or wood - but he has given me the option to decide.
I'm told that wood will warp in time (?) and that MDF will not. I will also be replacing all the doors with clear pine ones, which I intend to paint a cream colour and would like the skirtings etc to match. Would it be better for me to fit wooden or MDF skirtings & architraves - given that I will be painting them? I've been told that there is an oak effect MDF, but I haven't seen it, so I don't know whether this is a good option or not. Please help!
Thank you

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:41 pm

in answer to your question.....speak to you joiner and get him to show you some samples of the wood and mdf skirting then make your decision. Remember that your paying him. Hope this helps.

smofi
Labourer
Labourer

by smofi » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks Dude! I'll talk to him again, and get some samples.
:wink:

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

mdf or wood?

by Perry525 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:58 pm

MDF has some good points, its prefinished, it can be stuck on walls easily, therefore, no nail or screw holes to repair. Downside, it comes in short lengths, requires joints difficault to do neatly, suffers from water damage.
Wood comes in longer lengths, its often badly finished, frequently bowed in two directions, is therefore harder to fit but, selected carefully can do a better job. Your chap is being paid for his time and expertise - does he know somewhere that he can buy nicely finished timber? If he does go for iit.

R1ck
Labourer
Labourer

Re: mdf or wood?

by R1ck » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:14 pm

[quote="smofi"]My joiner is going to be replacing all the old skirtings and architraves with either MDF or wood - but he has given me the option to decide.
I'm told that wood will warp in time (?) and that MDF will not. I will also be replacing all the doors with clear pine ones, which I intend to paint a cream colour and would like the skirtings etc to match. Would it be better for me to fit wooden or MDF skirtings & architraves - given that I will be painting them? I've been told that there is an oak effect MDF, but I haven't seen it, so I don't know whether this is a good option or not. Please help!
Thank you[/quote]

Hello

If your joiner is a real joiner, a true joiner, a trained joiner and an experienced joiner s/he will NOT use m.d.f. and will not use solid wood that warps!!! All solid wood moves and if your joiner is a real joiner, a true joiner, a trained joiner and an experienced joiner s/he will be able to select the timber that will do a quality job ......... but you will have to pay!!!!!

oldwelshman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by oldwelshman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 pm

If you were going to varnish/stain your pine doors and not paint them, then I would have gone for good quality wood to match.
But as your painting doors I would go with MDF, as some say it is more stable and unless your expecting a flood why worry about it absorbing water? :D
Also decent diyer should be able to join mdf properly never mind a "real" joiner.
You will not notice the firrerence when finished properly !!

Tim Swingler
Labourer
Labourer

by Tim Swingler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:31 pm

In response to the quotation that MDF comes in short lengths. That is not the case you are able to get lengths of 5.4m. I know i have just fitted some yesterday. The only place which sells small lengths is a DIY store who will over charge you.

I would recommend MDF as this can be finished off better. Providing you ensure you fill your screw holes with 2 pack. If you don’t they will shrink / crack out. :evil:

Freeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Freeman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Ideally get him to match the skirting and architrave with what's in the rest of the house, unless you intend to replace all skirting and architraves over a period of time.

Timber will not warp or twist if graded and fixed properly.

MDF is not such a proven material and is considered as 'knot the real deal'

The oak finish MDF is probably finished with a laminate of plastic and not really suitable for painting.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:41 pm