Microwave - extending the lead to reach plug

Postby electrichelp » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi

Would be very grateful for any help/tips on this please!

I have a microwave - the lead is too short to reach the plug and I can't move it (as no space) and can't put in another socket.

I'm proposing to cut the plug off the microwave lead and then join it to another piece of wire so that it is long enough to reach the socket.

I'm proposing to use a 30Amp junction box to join the existing wire from the microwave to the new bit of wire.

Is this okay to do/safe?

The junction box has screws inside, do I just sit each wire under these and screw back down tightly so that it holds the wires in place.

Many thanks!
electrichelp
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:39 pm

A google for In line cable connector will bring up many suitable products like this. Ups sorry links don't work. They are small rubber or nylon boxes with cable grips. The main thing is some resistance to splashes and cable retention. The IEC 13 plug and socket would be what I would use.

I tried to give links but pre-view is not showing them maybe someone can point out what I have got wrong?
ericmark

Postby BLAKEY1963 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:06 am

ELECTRICHELP
if the microwave has a pre moulded plug , thats intergrated into the flex , as with most type of domestic appliances brought nowadays , the information states that removing this plug arrangement invalidates the warenty on the product.

BLAKEY1963
BLAKEY1963
Progress to next rank:
34.8%

Postby electrichelp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks very much for the replies.

When I google in line cable connectors I get stuff to do with TV aerials (!) - please could you post a link to the one you mean?

I know the warranty will be affected (it is a pre-moulded plug) but the microwave is old so it doesnt matter.

Would the junction box not be okay if, once correctly wired, I tape it all up with insulation tape? I have a spare junction box lying about so this would save having to buy anything else - just wanted to check it was safe? It's a 30Amp one which I think is the correct sort.

Many thanks.
electrichelp
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby ericmark » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Whole range shown here (Google "uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=retrieveTfg&binCount=15&Ne=4294957561&Ntt=in+line+connector&Ntk=I18NAll&Nr=AND%28avl%3auk%2csearchDiscon_uk%3aN%29&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=4294965277+4294954945&Nty=1") I would not go to RS myself but it's a good web site to show all the different types.
These (Google "ba.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0531431") are what I have used in past normally have a few in stock.
See also here (Google "cpc.farnell.com/duraplug/lcp103-whi/lead-connector-3-pin-white/dp/PL10426") note these (Google "cpc.farnell.com/schurter/r47320000/rewirable-iec-mains-connectors/dp/PL06086&crosssellid=PL06086&crosssell=true&in_merch=true&") which means you can use kettle lead to extend.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!