Minivator Stairlift 950 has no Power?

Postby Higgy66 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Friends Stairlift has stopped working. No power. Suspected to much weight. Is there a reset button? Circuit breaker or likely fuse? Can motor burn out? No smell. Advice and thoughts most welcome x
Higgy66
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53 pm

Have you checked the fuse at the FCU?
kbrownie

Postby ericmark » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:49 am

The stair lifts I have worked on are powered by a battery, Main reason for failing is battery reached end of life.
ericmark

Postby Higgy66 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:17 am

Hi, many thanks, will try and locate FCU in manual/circuit diagram. Now getting electrican in as wondered if initially it was some hidden reset button. Many thanks for all advice.
Higgy66
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby ericmark » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:43 pm

I have had some time to look, and yes it is battery powered, so in theroy it should go up and down around 10 times with no power going to the stair lift. However my mothers beeps at you if not charging when not in use.

I was surprised to find the stair lift not working one day, it seems there is a cut out so once the battery voltage drops it stops working, OK hers is not same make, hers is a Stannah.

I was not impressed with the system, I would have expected a warming lamp or buzzer first to say battery becoming discharged not just stop and require winding back to charging station. It was sudden and my thoughts were the charger must be US, but new batteries and off it went again.

It seems it uses what are called valve regulated lead acid batteries (VRLA) which use a glass mat to hold exactly the right amount of electrolyte, theroy batteries should last for years, but in practice they last around 2 years, longer if used a lot, as it seems the chargers are poor quality and they over charge the batteries.

There are however loads of limit switches, on hers the panels are the trigger plates for the safety switches, do look and see these have stuck.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!