All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYdabbler
Labourer
Labourer

Mira Atom ERD Shower and Double Check Valves

by DIYdabbler » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi all,

Im looking for a bit of advice. Ive recently bought a new bathroom suite and a mira Atom ERD shower to boot. Had a look at the instructions for the shower and it doesnt recommend fitting double check valves on the inlet pipes as it would cause a pressure build up which affects the static inlet pressure.

I was planning on Tee-ing the shower pipes from same pipes supplying the bath mixer tap, and seeing as im re-routing pipework anyway I was wondering if it would be acceptable to have in order from the supply;

Isolating valves on the hot and cold inlet, followed by a Tee on each, with the branches from the Tee heading to the shower and the main flow heading to the mixer tap, with double check valves fitted after the Tee. And an outlet double checkvalve on the shower hose.

Any help/criticism appreciated!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Mira Atom ERD Shower and Double Check Valves

by proptech » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 am

Hi
Yes, you could tee off from the bath supplies. but I have to ask, are your supplies tank fed, with an open vented cylinder, or from a combi with cold water mains fed ?
Any isolating valves should be of the full bore type, and you may not need any check valves providing the retaining ring is used on the hose.

DIYdabbler
Labourer
Labourer

by DIYdabbler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi

I currently have a gravity fed system, the cold water is supplied by the loft tank and the boiler is in an upstairs bedroom cupboard. The previous electric shower was fed from a pipe direct from the tank in the loft, but I was thinking i'd be as well just run the new shower from the same pipes supplying the bath taps, just to keep all the valves in the same place.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 am

That's fine then, so they'll both be as the same pressure. So full bore isolating valves, and no check valves.
All the best with the project.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:28 am