Mira Shower in a New Build House Filters Keep Clogging up - Plumbers Advice Sought
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Mira Shower in a New Build House Filters Keep Clogging up - Plumbers Advice Sought

by proptech » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Hope all goes well. If you ever find out what the gunk was, please let us know.

barkinglama
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Mira Shower in a New Build House Filters Keep Clogging up - Plumbers Advice Sought

by barkinglama » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:09 pm

was thinking of getting the gunk tested to find out what it is, any idea how I go about it? Where could I send it in the UK?

barkinglama
Apprentice
Apprentice

by barkinglama » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:53 pm

new filter after 10 mins
new filter after 10 mins
new filter 10 mins..jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
filter after 6 weeks
filter after 6 weeks
filter 6 weeks.jpg (13.99 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
Bought new filters and been in touch with the enviromental health at the council

Here's a couple of photos

Photo 1 is the filter from hot feed for 6 weeks of use

Photo 2 is a brand new filter after 10 mins

Anyone seen the like of this substance before

Both filters to be handed over to council for testing

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Is it possible to provide a link to higher quality images or close ups of the filter? These are so poor, it is impossible to see any detail.

barkinglama
Apprentice
Apprentice

by barkinglama » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:43 pm

plumbbob wrote:Is it possible to provide a link to higher quality images or close ups of the filter? These are so poor, it is impossible to see any detail.

Had to edit photos for the forum

full size here

http://imgur.com/iuHaIMq

http://imgur.com/1t19IE0

barkinglama
Apprentice
Apprentice

by barkinglama » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:52 pm

plumbbob wrote:Is it possible to provide a link to higher quality images or close ups of the filter? These are so poor, it is impossible to see any detail.

Had to edit photos for the forum

full size here

http://imgur.com/iuHaIMq

http://imgur.com/1t19IE0

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Well, my first inclination was jointing compound but I'm not convinced that quantity would be in the cylinder. My second thought is foam insulation used during the tank manufacture which has somehow got inside the cylinder.

Maybe the most likely explanation is the compound used to help release the tank from the mould when it was pressed which wasn't cleaned off.

I would follow Proptec's advice and contact the cylinder manufacturer and ask their opinion.

alanwads
Labourer
Labourer

by alanwads » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Barkinglama, I have something very similar if not identical to this happening with my hot water supply. Did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing it and how it was fixed? Thanks for any help, Alan

RJay
Labourer
Labourer

by RJay » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:03 pm

I know this thread is very old but I came across it trying to solve a near identical problem. I don't suppose either of the people with the problem ever found a solution? Worth asking but I'm not holding my breath as the thread seems to have been abandoned!

alanwads
Labourer
Labourer

by alanwads » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:29 am

I had something very similar when I moved into my new house which had had new c/h & hot water installed ~10 years previous. Both the upstairs and downstairs shower filters on the hot water were getting clogged every few days/couple of weeks. The stuff clogging them was like a mushy white paste but it dried once removed and collected to a white powder looking similar to the soap powder you would out in a washing machine. As the gunk was only on the hot water side the local water authority said it must be our heating that was the problem not their water supply, I could see their point.

Anyway as the shower filters weren't easy to access or clean I installed a much easier to access filter (Toolstation 16650, see picture) directly on the hot water tank outlet. That immediately stopped the shower valves getting clogged as it filled up with the white paste and was easier to access/empty every week or two when we noticed the hot water pressure dropping. What we couldn't understand was how the last occupier had coped with this as he was no good at DIY and would not have been opening/cleaning filters every couple of weeks. Anyway and very strangely, after a few months the filter stopped getting clogged and this is no longer a problem for us. I still check it now and again and find the odd grain of this stuff but nothing that causes a problem. If I had to guess I'd say it was something from the hot water tank manufacturers but when I called them they couldn't fathom it and I must say I struggle to say how it would come from such a tank. Anyway I still have the white powder if anyone's interested or wants a photo etc.
Attachments
In line filter from Toolstation
In line filter from Toolstation

RJay
Labourer
Labourer

by RJay » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks so much for replying! The gunk I have sounds exactly the same. The inline filter looks a great idea. Saves taking several things apart. I'm going to get one fitted and fingers crossed it clears up just as yours has.
Thanks again!

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:39 pm