Missing stopcock
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fotterson
Labourer
Labourer

Missing stopcock

Post by Fotterson » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 am

We moved into our house in October 2011 and so far have been unable to locate the water stop cock.

Its a semi built in 2007. Next door have a stop cock in the usual place under the sink. However we think our place may have been remodelled at some point and the kitchen has maybe been moved around the house at least once.

We have tried all the usual places and have concouded that the stopcock was either done away or it still exists but is behing an internal wall somewere. Previous owner is useless. So now looking for options.

1) We have a water meter outside. Do they have water shut off facility and would this suffice instead of a stopcock within the house ?

2) If we got a plumber in could he have any clever means of finding the original stopcock or would this be impossible withiut knocking internal walls through until he found it ?

3) If we asked for a new stop cock to be fitted would this be expensive and how would they locate a mains pipe to put it on ?

Hope someone can help.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Missing stopcock

Post by plumbbob » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 am

The outside water meter will have a stop valve that will shut off the supply but of course this is not ideal because it is not always easily accessible as an inside tap.

It is a constant frustration to me how some tradesmen will happily build over stoptaps which will at some point be needed in an emergency and as they don't have indeterminate life spans will need replacing. There is no magical way of finding them either. Experience might give some pointers, but I have wasted hours looking for hidden stoptaps! You won't find a time served plumber who hasn't had to work on a live supply through not being able to turn the water off.

As for your final question, if you find the incoming main there would be a stop tap there so you would not need another to be fitted.

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by jim the plumb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am

We have this problem as well.

New kitchen installed before we moved in.

The previous owner said the water board had done away with the stopcock! I know where the internal stopcock is - behind a kitchen unit and the pipes go up inside the wall, the only non brick section of wall in the kitchen.

I'm going to remove the kitchen unit to expose the tap and then make a cut out in the side of the unit to give me access.

You may have to do the same.

jimbo

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:48 pm

jim the plumb wrote:We have this problem as well.

New kitchen installed before we moved in.

The previous owner said the water board had done away with the stopcock!

There really are some comedians about don't you think?

Check if it might be easier to remove the cupboard backboard rather than the whole unit

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:48 pm