Mixer Tap Replacement Versus Thermostat Plate Replacement?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
bennji
Labourer
Labourer

Mixer Tap Replacement Versus Thermostat Plate Replacement?

Post by bennji » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Could someone please help me, I’m a little confused about what a plumber has suggested to my current bathroom sink tap with!

I apparently at the moment have a thermostat mixer tap, (one that I have a single lever which I turn around to get the temperature I want) which has developed a drip. the plumber has said its a ‘plate’ that needs replacing as it is thermostat tap!
He did say though that if i was happy to not have a thermostat tap he could replace the entire tap for cheaper than replacing the plate in the thermostat, sounds good to me , but I have a few questions that I am not managing to find the answers trawling the internet, and I was hoping someone could help me make sense of it please? My plumber has gone holiday so I can’t ask him either!

I understand that the thermostat stops a toilet being flushed or a different tap being run effecting the temperature of the water and that also it regulates the heat to stop scalding ...both of which I would be fine loosing taking away the thermostat tap, but my concern is more about how it actually mixes the water and how it comes out!

We have a standard mixer taps (but the ones with 2 seperate hot and cold tap dials) in our bath and in the kitchen. One thing I have always noticed with them is that if I am running hot and cold at the same time I can still feel the hot and cold parts/flow of the water, – its as if they don’t mix to the water temperature but its more that the hot and cold just come out the same ‘hole’ (sorry don’t know the technical wording!!).. could that be because they are not thermostat taps?

If I change from a thermostat tap, will I have the same problem of being able to feel the seperate hot and cold water?

The other difference with the taps in my house is that the kitchen/bath tap have no kind of nozzle, the water just pours out, however my current thermostat tap has what I think of as a shower spray flow, the tap end has lots of little holes so the water comes out in little jets (like a shower), would that have anything to do with mixing the water ‘properly’ so that I don’t feel the seperate hot and cold water. If so would that mean if I found a non thermostat tap with the same kind of ‘tap end’ it would mix the water properly?? ( are they even available on a non thermostat tap?)

As you can no doubt see, I am not great with what the technical terms are, but I have tried to find out about this myself, but have read so much info about taps in the last 24 hours I have completely confused myself ( not that it’s too hard)!
If anyone can help me understand a little more, it would be very much appreciated.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:44 pm